Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Superfood salad with garlic-ginger-lime shrimp!

Sometimes I am so proud of myself in the kitchen.  These times are few and far between because "dinner" is usually leftovers or hummus and crackers or, let's be honest, it's ice cream.


But tonight I actually made dinner and it was a GOOD one so I had to share! Here is the "recipe." Keep in mind I made this up with what I had in the kitchen and I didn't measure.  I will make some best guesses. But feel free to modify and use whatever you have fresh in your kitchen!

Superfood salad with garlic-ginger-lime shrimp! serves 2

1 box power greens (baby kale, spinach, chard and mizuna) (organic)
handful of grape tomatoes, halved (organic)
1 carrot, shredded (organic)
1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped (organic)
green onion, chopped (organic)
4 fingerling potatoes (organic)
walnuts, toasted
feta cheese
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil (total guess... I really don't know how much olive oil)
1/2 lime
1/8 lemon
1 clove garlic
fresh ginger
18 cocktail shrimp (precooked)(or buy raw and cook it)
for the potatoes: rosemary, basil, oregano, garlic powder, olive oil

soooo pretty!!!!



for the dressing: pour olive oil and the juice of half a lime and a little lemon into a bowl. chop up the clove of garlic and grate some ginger into the mixture. let the shrimp marinate in this while you make the salad.

chop the potatoes into small wedges (the smaller the pieces, the faster they cook). pour olive oil over them and add the herbs and mix til coated. bake at 415F for about 25-30 minutes or until they are getting crispy and brown outside and flip halfway through.

toast the walnuts on a baking sheet until they begin to darken (but not burn!!).

divide the greens between 2 large plates. chop the tomatoes, grate the carrot, chop the green onion and parsley, and arrange over the greens. add the walnuts, feta, and the potatoes when done. then arrange the shrimp on top (a nice circle in the middle looks fancy!) and pour the rest of the dressing over it all.

If you have a whiny, hungry, crabby toddler clinging to your legs and crying to be held the entire time you're making this salad, ply her with shrimp.  This worked for me.  I hope your toddler also loves shrimp.

This tasted SO fresh and light and healthy and I LOVE the tangy grated ginger and citrus dressing. Nothing compares to homemade dressing. I will definitely have a post on making dressing coming soon.

It's also best enjoyed after the baby goes to bed when you can really focus on the flavors. Pay no attention to the socks, shoes, magnets, toys, and coats all over the kitchen floor, but do try not to trip over them. And do not forget a beverage. I had a tasty Warsteiner beer to complement this beautiful green plate of delightfulness and I was totally satisfied.  Bon appetite!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Liz. Looks delicious. I bet the ginger paired very well with the shrimp and was a nice flavor match. Next time though... double the Warsteiner :) Good job bud!

    ReplyDelete